Accounting with SAP R/3
A method of measuring processes against those of recognized leaders. It helps establish priorities and targets leading to process improvement.
1. Identification: It is undertaken by identifying processes to benchmark and their key characteristics;
2. Determining who to benchmark;
3. Collecting and analyzing data from direct contact, surveys, interviews, technical journals, and advertisements;
4. Determining the "best of class" from each benchmark item identified;
5. Compare the Process to the Benchmarks: Evaluating the process in terms of the benchmarks;
6. Setting the improvement goals.
[vgl. www.thinkhdi.com/toolbox/glossary.asp (06.01.2002) , URL]