Read out


Plan­ning your stay abroad

How do I choose the ideal part­ner uni­versity for me?

The fol­low­ing con­sid­er­a­tions may be help­ful for answer­ing this ques­tion:

  • Which lan­guage do I feel com­fort­able speak­ing?
    Which lan­guage would I like to im­prove?

  • Which coun­tries am I par­tic­u­larly in­ter­ested in?
    Which coun­tries do I want to get to know? Do I have any spe­cial con­nec­tions to cer­tain coun­tries? Are there any WU part­ner uni­versit­ies in these coun­tries?

  • Which uni­versity matches my in­terests and qual­i­fic­a­tions?
    Just like stu­dents, uni­versit­ies also have very dif­fer­ent pro­files and spe­cial­ize in cer­tain fields. Size, loca­tion, and struc­ture of the cam­pus also play an im­port­ant role for many stu­dents.

  • Fin­an­cial aspects
    Please don’t for­get to con­sider fin­an­cial aspects when choos­ing your part­ner uni­versit­ies, e.g. travel ex­penses and costs of liv­ing. Please also note that some part­ner uni­versit­ies re­quire an ad­di­tional, possibly ex­pens­ive, health in­sur­ance. The ex­change re­ports by former ex­change stu­dents, as ex­plained below, provide a good source of in­form­a­tion on these is­sues.

Part­ner uni­versit­ies & ex­change places

On the bach­elor’s level, WU of­fers an in­ter­na­tional net­work com­pris­ing about 180 part­ner uni­versit­ies world­wide. The fol­low­ing in­form­a­tion may help you choose the right uni­versity for your needs:

Below you can find lists with the cur­rently avail­able ex­change places and ap­plic­a­tion quotas from pre­vi­ous semesters. These quota lists provide in­form­a­tion on which and how many ex­change places will be avail­able for the next ap­plic­a­tion period and how many stu­dents ap­plied for these places in pre­vi­ous semesters. Please note that the num­bers of avail­able places may change from semester to semester.

Ex­change places over­seas for an ex­change stay in the win­ter semester 2017/18

Ex­change places in Europe for an ex­change stay in the win­ter semester 2017/18

Ad­di­tional ap­plic­a­tion period for an ex­change stay in the win­ter semester 2017/18

Ap­plic­a­tion re­quire­ments

As soon as you have com­pleted courses worth a total of 38 ECTS cred­its (excl. elect­ive courses), you can ap­ply for an ex­change semester at one of our part­ner uni­versit­ies. You can al­ways check on­line to see if you ful­fill the ap­plic­a­tion re­quire­ments.

If you have already com­pleted an ex­change semester or have already been nom­in­ated for an ex­change semester dur­ing your bach­elor’s de­gree pro­gram, you can­not ap­ply for an­other ex­change semester. However, you can still ap­ply for an In­ter­na­tional Sum­mer Uni­versity pro­gram in that case.

Most part­ner uni­versit­ies have ad­di­tional re­quire­ments you need to ful­fill (TOEFL, IELTS, EBC 1, EBC 2). In­form­a­tion on these re­quire­ments is provided on the info sheets for the in­di­vidual part­ner uni­versit­ies, which you can find on our in­ter­act­ive map of WU part­ner uni­versit­ies. It is not ne­ces­sary that you ful­fill the ad­di­tional cri­teria re­quired by the part­ner uni­versit­ies within the IO ap­plic­a­tion period. It is suf­fi­cient if you meet these re­quire­ments within 4 weeks after the an­nounce­ment of your nom­in­a­tion.


Ap­plic­a­tion peri­ods

You can ap­ply for an ex­change semester dur­ing the of­fi­cial ap­plic­a­tion peri­ods. Please note that ap­plic­a­tions must be sub­mit­ted a year in ad­vance. This means, for example, that if you ap­ply dur­ing a win­ter semester ap­plic­a­tion period and are then nom­in­ated for a stay abroad, you will start your ex­change semester in the fol­low­ing win­ter semester.

Three ap­plic­a­tion peri­ods are avail­able per semester. One of these three ap­plic­a­tion peri­ods is for over­seas part­ner uni­versit­ies, and one for part­ner uni­versit­ies in Europe. Dur­ing the third period (ad­di­tional ap­plic­a­tion period), stu­dents can re­apply for over­seas and European ex­change places that have not been awar­ded to any ap­plic­ant yet.

Ap­plic­a­tion pro­cess

  • The entire ap­plic­a­tion pro­cess takes place on­line. Stu­dents may ap­ply for places at up to 3 uni­versit­ies, ac­cord­ing to their per­sonal pref­er­ences.

  • Stu­dents of the IBW/Chin­es­isch (In­ter­na­tional Busi­ness Ad­min­is­tra­tion and Chinese) pro­gram and all other in­di­vidual study pro­grams: Please ask your IO Re­gional Co­ordin­ator to un­lock the on­line ap­plic­a­tion form for you.

  • The ap­plic­a­tion doc­u­ments will be for­war­ded to your aca­demic ad­visor after ex­pir­a­tion of the ap­plic­a­tion period. Aca­demic ad­visors are WU fac­ulty mem­bers who sup­port the co­oper­a­tion between WU and a spe­cific part­ner uni­versity. They se­lect stu­dents based on their writ­ten ap­plic­a­tions and in­vite short­l­is­ted can­did­ates to in­ter­views. Please note that in­ter­view in­vit­a­tions are sent out dir­ectly by the aca­demic ad­visors. The aca­demic ad­visors are also asked to in­form stu­dents who are not in­vited to an in­ter­view about their ex­clu­sion from the ap­plic­a­tion pro­cess in a timely man­ner. Stu­dents will also be no­ti­fied if no in­ter­views are held at all.

  • Stu­dents are chosen for ex­change places based on the fol­low­ing se­lec­tion cri­teria:

    • Aca­demic per­form­ance and pro­gress

    • Lan­guage pro­fi­ciency (espe­cially in the local lan­guage and the lan­guage of in­struc­tion)

    • Mo­tiv­a­tion for an ex­change semester and the stu­dent’s choice of part­ner uni­versity

    • The possib­il­ity of credit trans­fer to­wards the ap­plic­ant’s WU de­gree pro­gram

    • Ad­di­tional qual­i­fic­a­tions (in­tern­ships, work ex­per­i­ence, in­ter­na­tional ex­per­i­ence)

    • Per­sonal im­pres­sion dur­ing the in­ter­view

    • Gen­eral im­pres­sion

  • The aca­demic ad­visors will rank stu­dents ac­cord­ing to their qual­i­fic­a­tions and their part­ner uni­versity pref­er­ences and, based on this rank­ing, will assign the ap­plic­ants to their pre­ferred part­ner uni­versit­ies.
    Please note: Aca­demic ad­visors only assess ap­plic­a­tions for part­ner uni­versit­ies that fall within their in­di­vidual area of re­spons­ib­il­ity. De­pend­ing on the num­ber of ap­plic­a­tions with a pref­er­ence for a spe­cific uni­versity, a se­lec­tion in­ter­view may take place or not. 

  • The IO will send out the no­ti­fic­a­tions about the fi­nal se­lec­tion res­ults via email ap­prox­im­ately one month after the ap­plic­a­tion dead­line. All ap­plic­ants will re­ceive an answer, either pos­it­ive or neg­at­ive.

If you were not assigned an ex­change place dur­ing the ap­plic­a­tion period, you can ap­ply again dur­ing sub­sequent ap­plic­a­tion peri­ods.

The on­line ap­plic­a­tion tool

  • Ap­plic­a­tion peri­ods end at 12:00 noon on the last day of the ap­plic­a­tion period.

  • Your ap­plic­a­tion must be sub­mit­ted by click­ing the “Agree and sub­mit ap­plic­a­tion” but­ton be­fore the ap­plic­a­tion dead­line.

  • You can save your ap­plic­a­tion and re­turn to edit it at any time dur­ing the ap­plic­a­tion period. Ap­plic­a­tions can no longer be ed­ited after the ap­plic­a­tion period has ex­pired.

  • Please make sure that you sub­mit your ap­plic­a­tion in time and check that your sub­mit­ted doc­u­ments are com­plete. Late sub­mis­sions will not be ac­cep­ted.

  • You can ap­ply for a max­imum of 3 part­ner uni­versit­ies (pref­er­ences).

  • Dur­ing the ap­plic­a­tion pro­cess, your per­sonal data will be pro­cessed, which is why we would like to kindly ask you to read our dis­claimer on data pri­vacy.

Ap­plic­a­tion doc­u­ments

Dur­ing the on­line ap­plic­a­tion pro­cess, the fol­low­ing doc­u­ments are gen­er­ated:

  • Two let­ters of mo­tiv­a­tion for each of your pref­er­ences

    • One in Ger­man and one in the lan­guage of in­struc­tion for each of your pref­er­ences.

    • Max. 3200 char­ac­ters, ad­dressed to the ap­pro­pri­ate aca­demic ad­visor.

    • If the info sheet in­dic­ates more than one lan­guage of in­struc­tion, you can choose which of the lan­guages you would like to use for your let­ter of mo­tiv­a­tion.

  • A CV will be gen­er­ated auto­mat­ic­ally based on the data you entered on your edu­ca­tion, workex­per­i­ence, in­ter­na­tional ex­per­i­ence, and lan­guage skills.

  • Your photo will auto­mat­ic­ally be ad­ded to your CV from the WU data­base.

  • Tran­script (from the WU data­base); in ad­di­tion, your grade point aver­age will be cal­cu­lated and ad­ded to your ap­plic­a­tion. Only the grades from your best 27 ECTS cred­its will be con­sidered in the cal­cu­la­tion. All cur­riculum-spe­cific mod­ules are taken into ac­count for this cal­cu­la­tion (elect­ives are ex­cluded).

Nom­in­a­tion and re­gis­tra­tion

After com­ple­tion of the ap­plic­a­tion pro­cess, your data will be for­war­ded to the re­spect­ive part­ner uni­versity (“nom­in­a­tion”). Sub­sequently, you will also have to re­gister with the part­ner uni­versity. The part­ner uni­versity or the IO will provide you with fur­ther de­tails and the doc­u­ments re­quired for this pro­cess. The pro­cess may dif­fer from uni­versity to uni­versity. The ap­plic­a­tion doc­u­ments (in­clud­ing ad­di­tional re­quired doc­u­ments such as lan­guage cer­ti­fic­ates) and an ap­plic­a­tion form must be com­pleted and sub­mit­ted to the part­ner uni­versity in time.

De­pend­ing on the part­ner uni­versity, you will re­ceive an email or postal mail just be­fore or dur­ing the re­gis­tra­tion pro­cess with de­tailed in­form­a­tion regard­ing visa, hous­ing, ori­ent­a­tion pro­grams, and course re­gis­tra­tion. If you have not been con­tac­ted by your part­ner uni­versity six months be­fore the start of your stay abroad, please con­sult your IO Re­gional Co­ordin­ator.

The rel­ev­ant ap­plic­a­tion forms fre­quently in­clude the fol­low­ing ques­tions:

  • Are you a full-­time stu­dent? Yes

  • Pro­gram: Busi­ness Ad­min­is­tra­tion / In­ter­na­tional Busi­ness Ad­min­is­tra­tion / Eco­nom­ics and So­cio-E­co­nom­ics /Busi­ness Law/ In­form­a­tion Sys­tems

  • In­sti­tu­tional/Ex­change Co­ordin­ator: IO Re­gional Co­ordin­ator

  • De­part­mental Co­ordin­ator: aca­demic ad­visor

  • Ma­jor: courses of study that match your spe­cial­iz­a­tion, i.e. Mar­ket­ing, Fin­ance, Man­age­ment, etc.

  • Semes­ter­d­aten: Please note that WU’s “sum­mer semester” is often called something else in other coun­tries, e.g. “spring term” or just “second semester”. Like­wise, the “win­ter semester” is often called the “fall term” or “first semester”.

Fre­quently re­ques­ted doc­u­ments

  • Tran­script: Part­ner uni­versit­ies often re­quest an Eng­lish ver­sion of your WU tran­script. You can print your WU tran­script at one of the self-ser­vice ter­min­als in front of the Study Ser­vice Center (Lib­rary and Learn­ing Center build­ing (LC), level 2), or view and print it on­line us­ing WU’s web ser­vices.

  • Bank con­firm­a­tion/fin­an­cial state­ment: All US part­ner schools and some other over­seas part­ners re­quire proof of suf­fi­cient fin­an­cial means to fund your ex­change semester. The re­quired amount var­ies de­pend­ing on the uni­versity. Click here for a tem­plate for a fin­an­cial state­ment/bank let­ter.

  • Med­ical re­port and vac­cin­a­tion pass: Many over­seas uni­versit­ies re­quire an Eng­lish health cer­ti­fic­ate, is­sued by your phys­i­cian. Click here for a tem­plate for a med­ical re­port.

  • Lan­guage cer­ti­fic­ate: Some part­ner uni­versit­ies re­quire a lan­guage test such as TOEFL or IELTS or an EBC cer­ti­fic­ate. To find out which uni­versit­ies re­quire such tests and how many points are needed, please see the info sheets on our web­site or ask your IO Re­gional Co­ordin­ator.
    OeAD In­ter­na­tional Test­ing Ser­vices: test­
    Brit­ish Coun­cil:

Can­cel­ling an ex­change semester

Once you have been nom­in­ated for an ex­change semester, can­cel­la­tion is possible only in ex­cep­tional cases (ill­ness, preg­nancy, im­port­ant fam­ily com­mit­ments, or un­avoid­able, un­fore­seen ser­i­ous events). Ap­pro­pri­ate proof will be re­quired. Please con­tact your Re­gional Co­ordin­ator at the IO im­me­di­ately in such cases. If a stu­dent cancels his or her ex­change without good cause, he or she is ex­cluded from fur­ther par­ti­cip­a­tion in WU ex­change pro­grams in his or her cur­rent study cycle.

Pre­par­ing for your stay abroad

Course se­lec­tion at the part­ner uni­versity
When se­lect­ing your courses, please note that the cred­its will have to be trans­ferred to­wards your WU pro­gram after your re­turn to Vi­enna. Ex­change stu­dents are ex­pec­ted to take a full work­load at the host uni­versity. In Europe, the full work­load equals courses worth 30 ECTS cred­its; over­seas, stu­dents have to com­plete the ap­pro­pri­ate work­load re­quire­ment of the part­ner uni­versity.

Pre-re­cog­ni­tion notice and Learn­ing Agree­ment
You must fill out the on­line ap­plic­a­tion for pre-re­cog­ni­tion (On­line-An­trag Fest­s­tel­lungs­bes­cheid/Voraus­bes­cheid) be­fore you go abroad to cla­rify which courses taken at the part­ner uni­versity can be re­cog­nized for credit trans­fer after you re­turn to WU. De­tailed in­form­a­tion regard­ing the pre-re­cog­ni­tion pro­cess and the Learn­ing Agree­ment, which also has to be re­ques­ted on­line, can be found here.

In­ter­na­tional Busi­ness Ad­min­is­tra­tion
Stu­dents with a ma­jor in In­ter­na­tional Busi­ness Ad­min­is­tra­tion (IBW) must com­plete courses re­lated to busi­ness/eco­nom­ics worth 24 ECTS cred­its dur­ing their stay abroad. Please note that credit trans­fer to­wards your WU de­gree pro­gram is not ne­ces­sary for ful­filling the in­ter­na­tional ex­per­i­ence re­quire­ment of your In­ter­na­tional Busi­ness Ad­min­is­tra­tion ma­jor. To ful­fill the re­quire­ment, you only need to com­plete the re­quired amount of courses abroad. Fur­ther in­form­a­tion is provided dur­ing the Grants and Credit Trans­fer Ses­sion and on our web page on the IBW in­ter­na­tional ex­per­i­ence re­quire­ment.

Mobil­ity grants
WU stu­dents re­ceive fin­an­cial sup­port for in­ter­na­tional mobil­ity. At our man­dat­ory Grants and Credit Trans­fer Ses­sion in the semester prior to your ex­change, you will be provided with all the in­form­a­tion and doc­u­ments you need be­fore you start your semester abroad. If you are look­ing for more de­tailed in­form­a­tion be­fore the ses­sion, please click here.

In­ter­cul­tural skills
All nom­in­ated stu­dents are re­quired to com­plete a man­dat­ory in­ter­cul­tural skills train­ing sem­inar PRIOR to their ex­change stay. This sem­inar is in­ten­ded to provide stu­dents with the ne­ces­sary cul­tural pre­par­a­tion for the ex­change semester.

ÖH dues
It is very im­port­ant that you pay your Stu­dents’ Union (ÖH) dues dur­ing your ex­change semester, other­wise you will be dis­en­rolled from your aca­demic pro­gram. As long as your dues have been paid, you re­main en­rolled as a stu­dent at WU and can re­gister for courses and exams, if they do not con­flict with your ex­change period.

Tu­ition fees
Par­ti­cip­a­tion in an of­fi­cial WU mobil­ity pro­gram with a dur­a­tion of over 8 weeks and which ex­tends into the teach­ing period of at least one semester res­ults in a waiver of tu­ition fees for one semester. Tu­ition fees are also waived at the part­ner uni­versity.


Many part­ner uni­versit­ies of­fer spe­cial ser­vices to help nom­in­ated WU stu­dents find ap­pro­pri­ate ac­com­mod­a­tion. In­form­a­tion on hous­ing op­por­tun­it­ies and ser­vices is provided by the part­ner uni­versit­ies. We also re­com­mend that you read the info sheets and the ex­change re­ports by former WU out­go­ing stu­dents.

The IO co­oper­ates with Hous­ing Any­where, a plat­form with hous­ing of­fers by stu­dents for stu­dents. Hous­ing Any­where al­lows you to search for hous­ing op­por­tun­it­ies in your host coun­try. – Please use the fol­low­ing link to sign up: go.housingany­

At the same time, it also helps you to sub­let your room or apart­ment dur­ing a stay abroad. The ser­vices offered are free of charge for WU stu­dents, and the IO also re­com­mends Hous­ing Any­where to in­com­ing stu­dents.


Trav­el­ling to non-EU coun­tries

If you com­plete your semester abroad in a non-EU coun­try or if you are not an EU cit­izen, please fa­mil­i­ar­ize your­self with your host coun­try’s entry re­quire­ments in due time.

To travel to the US, Rus­sia, Latin Amer­ica, Aus­tralia, and Asia, Aus­trian stu­dents need a stu­dent visa. Non-Aus­trian stu­dents may need ad­di­tional doc­u­ments.

As soon as you have re­ceived the re­gis­tra­tion forms and the Let­ter of Ac­cept­ance from the part­ner uni­versity (US uni­versit­ies also re­quire the DS-2019 form, and Rus­sian uni­versit­ies an in­vit­a­tion let­ter), you can ap­ply for a visa at the ap­pro­pri­ate con­su­lar au­thor­ity in Vi­enna. Be sure to con­tact the con­su­late in ad­vance to find out what doc­u­ments will be needed!

USA/Canada: The US con­su­late charges a so-c­alled SEVIS fee when is­su­ing a visa. In the plane, you will need to fill out the white im­mig­ra­tion form. To travel to Canada for a stay of up to six months, stu­dents with Aus­trian cit­izen­ship do not need a stu­dent visa. However, upon your ar­rival, you have to present the Let­ter of Ac­cept­ance to the im­mig­ra­tion au­thor­it­ies on your own ini­ti­at­ive, and you have to state to the au­thor­it­ies that you en­ter the coun­try as a stu­dent and not as a tour­ist.

Some coun­tries re­quire spe­cial travel and/or health in­sur­ance. Please in­quire about the ap­plic­able in­sur­ance re­quire­ments with the ap­pro­pri­ate con­su­late.

Trav­el­ling to EU coun­tries
If you are not an EU cit­izen, please be sure to in­form your­self of any visa or entry re­quire­ments made by the host coun­try early enough to make the ne­ces­sary ar­range­ments.

Travel/health in­sur­ance

Over­seas/non-EU coun­tries
Ad­di­tional travel and/or health in­sur­ance is re­com­men­ded. For in­sur­ance policies is­sued in Aus­tria, it’s a good idea to take a de­scrip­tion with you of what is covered by your policy (in Eng­lish). Some uni­versit­ies re­quire stu­dents to pur­chase sep­ar­ate stu­dent in­sur­ance in the host coun­try.

EU coun­tries
If you are a cit­izen of an EU mem­ber state, the health in­sur­ance provided by your home coun­try is usu­ally suf­fi­cient. Don’t for­get to take your European in­sur­ance card (e-­card) with you when you go abroad! If you are not an EU cit­izen, be sure to ar­range for the ne­ces­sary in­sur­ance cov­er­age well in ad­vance.

Dur­ing your stay abroad – form­al­it­ies at the part­ner uni­versity

Be­fore your stay abroad, please ask your co­ordin­ator at the part­ner uni­versity whether your tran­script will be is­sued auto­mat­ic­ally or whether you’ll have to spe­cific­ally re­quest it.

For re­cip­i­ents of an Er­asmus+ grant: Please make sure to take the Learn­ing Agree­ment and the Con­firm­a­tion of Stay (both doc­u­ments have to be signed by the part­ner uni­versity) home with you.

After your stay abroad

“Wel­come Back” small group ad­vis­ory meet­ings

The In­ter­na­tional Of­fice of­fers spe­cial group meet­ings to stu­dents re­turn­ing from their semester abroad. These meet­ings are in­ten­ded to make your re­turn easier and provide you with in­form­a­tion on im­port­ant th­ings you need to get done once you’re back in Vi­enna.

Ob­tain­ing your Tran­script of Re­cords from the part­ner uni­versity

Tran­scripts of Re­cords are usu­ally sent dir­ectly to the In­ter­na­tional Of­fice, where the co­ordin­at­ors will con­firm the au­thenti­city of the doc­u­ments. You will be in­formed by email once the doc­u­ment is ready to be picked up at the IO Front Of­fice (usu­ally 1-2 months after the end of the semester). Some part­ner uni­versit­ies send their Tran­scripts of Re­cords dir­ectly to the stu­dents via email or postal mail. In case you re­ceive your tran­script dir­ectly from your part­ner uni­versity, please for­ward it to your IO Re­gional Co­ordin­ator by email or bring the un­opened en­vel­ope to the In­ter­na­tional Of­fice to have its au­thenti­city con­firmed.

Credit trans­fer and con­firm­a­tion of your IBW In­ter­na­tional Ex­per­i­ence

Please note that the (ECTS) cred­its you have re­ceived for the courses you at­ten­ded abroad will not auto­mat­ic­ally be trans­ferred to WU. You have to sub­mit an ap­plic­a­tion for credit trans­fer to­wards your WU pro­gram to the Study Reg­u­la­tions & Credit Trans­fer Of­fice, located in the Study Ser­vice Center in the LC build­ing, on level 2. To sub­mit the ap­plic­a­tion, you will also need to bring your tran­script, veri­fied by the IO Re­gional Co­ordin­ator. Click here for more in­form­a­tion on re­cog­ni­tion and credit trans­fer.

Ex­change re­port

All WU stu­dents who have com­pleted an ex­change semester or­gan­ized by the In­ter­na­tional Of­fice are re­quired to write a re­port on their ex­per­i­ences, in­clud­ing an evalu­ation of the courses taken. The re­ports are re­viewed by the In­ter­na­tional Of­fice and, if com­plete, made avail­able on­line. Please fill out the re­port tem­plate and up­load it here.

Grant form­al­it­ies

After your re­turn to Vi­enna, you have to com­plete several form­al­it­ies re­lated to your grant. Please click this link for fur­ther in­form­a­tion on grants.

Par­ti­cip­ate in the Go Global Ex­change Fair

Share your ex­per­i­ences from your stay abroad with pro­spect­ive out­go­ing stu­dents at our an­nual Go Global Ex­change Fair and rep­res­ent your host uni­versity!