Ein Mann hält ein Papierflugzeug aus einer Weltkarte in die Höhe

Exchange semester Bachelor

On this page, you can find all information needed for an exchange semester on bachelor's level.

Available exchange places

Here, you can see a couple of students leaving campus wu and getting ready for their exchange.

Below, you can find lists with currently available exchange places and application quotas from previous semesters. These quota lists tell you which and how many exchange places will be available for the next application period and how many students applied for these places in previous semesters. Note that the numbers of available places may change from semester to semester.

Consulting services at the International Office

The International Office (IO) is the main contact point for exchange programs at WU. Apart from the information provided on this website, we offer the following informative events and consultation services which support you planning your semester abroad.

Planning your stay abroad

How do I choose the ideal partner university for me?

The following considerations may be helpful for answering this question:

  • Which language do I feel comfortable speaking?
    Which language would I like to improve?

  • Which countries am I particularly interested in?
    Which countries do I want to get to know? Do I have a special connection to certain countries? Are there any WU partner universities in these countries?

  • Which university matches my interests and qualifications?
    Just like students, universities have different profiles and specialize in certain fields. Size, location, and structure of the campus also play an important role for many students.

    For students majoring in economics, we recommend certain universities. A list of recommendations can be found here (document in German). Please note that it is also possible to spend a semester abroad with a major in economics at other universities. Find out in advance whether there is a corresponding course offer at the partner university. You can use the sources of information listed below.

  • Financial aspects
    Please don’t forget to consider financial aspects when choosing your partner universities (e.g. travel expenses and costs of living). Please note that some partner universities require an additional and possibly expensive health insurance. The exchange reports by former exchange students, as explained below, provide a good source of information on these issues.

    For students with disabilities, chronic illnesses, care obligations and/or socio-economic need, there is the possibility to apply for additional funding. Depending on the destination, students can apply for special support under the WU mobility grant or apply for an Erasmus+ Top Up (depending on your status, you may also apply for Erasmus+ inclusion support).

Partner universities

On bachelor’s level, WU offers an international network comprising about 180 partner universities worldwide. The following information may help you to choose the right university for your needs:

  • Info sheets and fact sheets
    Info sheets are compiled by WU and provide you with information on our partner universities. They include information on application requirements at the partner university, semester dates and more.
    Fact sheets are provided by the respective partner universities and contain general information for exchange students. Info sheets and fact sheets can both be found on our map of partner universities.

  • Websites of the partner universities
    On the websites of our partner universities, potential outgoings can familiarize themselves with the course catalog or housing possibilities. Corresponding links can be found in the info and fact sheets. Please note that the information provided is only meant as a kind of orientation. Partner universities can still make changes until the start of the exchange semester.

  • Online credit transfer database
    The online credit transfer database provides you with a list of courses which were completed by WU students abroad in the past. This database is meant as a means of orientation and shows which courses were eligible for credit transfer. The list does not guarantee that partner universities offer the same courses each semester or that courses are open to WU students (e.g. course is already full, academic requirements are not fulfilled, etc.).

  • Exchange reports by former exchange students
    All students who complete a semester abroad through the International Office fill in an exchange report, which can be accessed by future exchange students online. These reports are a useful source of information for answering questions concerning course registration, arrival, accommodation, costs, and local tips.

  • International experiences at WU and abroad
    On this site, you will find detailed reports and interviews from students about their WU exchange experiences.

Application requirements

Which requirements do I have to meet in order to apply?

Am I allowed to complete a second semester abroad during my bachelor's degree?

I plan to apply for universities that require proof of language proficiency. Until when do I need to provide such proof?


Within the application periods, you can apply online via this link. You can apply for up to three universities per application period and rank them according to your preferences!

Application periods

Application process

Ranking and selection criteria

The online application tool

Application documents

Nomination and registration

What happens after successful nomination for a stay abroad?

When do I receive information from the partner university?

Which data do I have to provide during the registration at the partner university?

Cancelling an exchange semester

What should I know about cancelling an exchange semester?

Preparing for your stay abroad

What points should I inform myself about in order to be best prepared?


Travel/health insurance

During your stay at the partner university

Share photos of your stay on Instagtam using #WUInternational
Tag your Instagram posts during your semester abroad with #WUInternational or send us a photo directly. We will share the best pictures on our account @wuinternationaloffice.



Exchange fairs and WU Alumni Hubs

After your stay abroad

Participate in the Go Global - Your Event to Internationalize Your Studies

Transcript of records and credit transfer

Exchange report and grant formalities

Diploma Supplement

Picking up documents in your absence

If you are not able to pick up documents at the International Office in person, you can authorize a person of your trust to do it for you. The authorized person has to bring the following documents:

  • Completed authorization form (see below)

  • Photocopy of the student's ID (photo ID/student ID)

  • Photo ID of the authorized person

Please note: Make sure to specify exactly the "type of task" for which you want to authorize your person of trust. If the type of task is not specified accurately or missing completely, your documents cannot be handed over.

Erasmus Logo