Read out


Here you can find all information needed for an exchange semester on master's level.

Planning your stay abroad

On the master’s level, WU offers an international network comprising about 130 partner universities worldwide. It is recommended to take your semester abroad in the third semester; in some exceptional cases, the fourth semester is also possible (Business Law and Business Education). Please note that applications must be submitted a year in advance. We therefore recommend that you apply for a semester abroad in your first semester in order to be able to study at the partner university of your choice during your third semester.

Our partner universities have very different profiles and specialize in certain fields. Size, location, and structure of the campus also play an important role for many students. The following aspects should be considered when choosing a partner university:

  • Is my degree program suitable for a semester abroad?

  • Which universities offer a portfolio of courses that fits the focus of my studies?

  • Financial aspects: Please don’t forget to consider financial aspects when choosing your partner universities, e.g. travel expenses and costs of living. Please also note that some partner universities require an additional, possibly expensive, health insurance. The exchange reports by former exchange students, as explained below, provide a good source of information on these issues.

Not all partner universities offer a course portfolio that is suitable for all students and every WU degree program. Our interactive map is a fast and convenient tool that helps you to find out which partner university has a suitable course portfolio for your specific WU degree program. Please use the appropriate filters for your WU degree program. To view detailed information on the respective universities, please click on the pins.

Where can I get additional information?

  • Info sheets and fact sheets
    Info sheets are compiled by WU and provide you with information on our partner universities. They include, among other things, information on application requirements at the PU, semester dates etc.
    Fact sheets are provided by the respective partner universities and contain general information for exchange students. Info sheets and fact sheets can both be found on our map of partner universities.
    Info sheets and fact sheets can both be found on our map of partner universities.

  • Websites of the partner universities
    On the websites of our partner universities potential incomings can familiarize themselves with the course catalog or housing possibilities. Corresponding links can be found in the info and fact sheets. Please note that the information provided is only meant as support during the initial process of choosing a university. Partner universities can still make changes until the start of the exchange semester.

  • Online credit transfer database
    The online credit transfer database provides you with a list of courses which were, in the past, completed abroad by WU students and transferred to their WU degree. This database is meant as a means for orientation, but does not guarantee that those courses are offered each semester by the partner university or that they are open to WU students (e.g. course is already full, academic requirements are not fulfilled).

  • Exchange reports by former exchange students
    All students who complete a semester abroad through the International Office fill in an exchange report, which can be accessed by future exchange students online. These reports are a useful source for answers to questions concerning arrival, accommodation, costs, course registration, local peculiarities, etc.

  • Go Global exchange fair
    Each year in October, Go Global offers a platform for former outgoings and current incomings to present WU’s partner universities. This is a great way for future exchange students to receive first-hand information concerning student life abroad.

  • "What's it actually like?"
    Here you can find detailed accounts written by students about their semester abroad at certain partner universities.

  • Brochures and flyers in the IO Front Office
    Many partner universities provide us with information material, which you can browse through anytime during our front office opening hours.

  • Personal consultation with our IO staff
    During our opening hours, the International Office staff is available to answer your questions personally.

  • Small group advisory meetings
    The IO oalso offers comprehensive consultation on important issues regarding your study abroad.

Suitability of master’s programs for a semester abroad

WU’s master’s programs are very diverse. For most of the programs, it is possible to go abroad for an exchange semester without delaying one’s academic progress, but some programs have to be completed entirely at WU.

Students of the master's programs:
  • Marketing

  • Strategy, Innovation, and Management Control

An exchange semester should be completed by all or at least a large percentage of all students. The flexible structure of the programs allows for easy credit transfer. The IO can provide recommendations for a large number of suitable partner universities.

Students of the master's programs:
  • Export and Internationalization Management

  • Finance and Accounting

  • Management

  • Socioeconomics

  • Supply Chain Management

  • Economics (German and English program)

  • Business Law

  • Business Education

An exchange semester is optional. Due to the different courses required in the various degree programs, some partner universities are better suited for an exchange semester than others. Recommendations are available for each master’s program.

Students of the master's programs:
  • Information Systems

  • Quantitative Finance

  • Socio-Ecological Economics and Policy

  • Taxation and Accounting

Due to the specific structure of these programs, as a rule, students are required to complete the entire program at WU. Credit transfer for courses completed during a semester abroad is only possible to a limited extent.

Application requirements

To be able to apply for a stay abroad, you have to be admitted to a master’s program at WU.

Most partner universities have additional requirements you need to fulfill. This may include, for instance, professional experience or language certificates. Information on these requirements is provided on the info sheets for the individual partner universities, which you can find on our interactive map of WU partner universities. It is not necessary that you fulfill the additional criteria required by the partner universities within the IO application period. It is sufficient if you meet these requirements within 4 weeks after the announcement of your nomination.

Provided that you match the application requirements set by WU and the partner university, you can click here to apply for a semester abroad during the application periods.

Available exchange places

Apart from exchange semesters, students enrolled in the master’s programs in Strategy, Innovation, and Management Control and Marketing can also complete a double degree program organized jointly by WU and selected partner universities.

Students enrolled in the Master’s Program in Business Law also have the opportunity to gain an additional qualification with the THEMIS program.

Available exchange places for Europe and overseas for the summer semester 2020

Please note that the numbers of available places may change from semester to semester.

Suitable partner universities according to master’s programs

Students are expected to take a full workload at the partner university during their semester abroad. In Europe the full workload equals courses worth 30 ECTS credits; overseas, students have to complete the appropriate workload requirement of the partner university. Upon their return, students are required to transfer the credits earned abroad toward their respective WU degree program.

The WU master’s programs have issued recommendations for partner universities which are especially well suited for an exchange semester. Courses which have been cleared for credit transfer in advance are indicated on the credit transfer course lists published by Study Regulations & Credit Transfer. Please use our interactive map to find information on which universities are recommended for your master’s program.

These recommendations are not just for orientation purposes but are also taken into account in the process of allocation for the respective exchange place at the partner university. This ensures a compatible course program, pending possible changes. Due to possible changes in the course portfolio at the partner university the recommendations are not a guarantee for credit transfer. Nevertheless we explicitly encourage students to apply for partner universities that are recommended by your master’s program. In case you are interested in a partner university that is not recommended by your master’s program, you will have to carefully study the course portfolio and inform yourself through the WU International Office on which courses are accessible for WU exchange students.

If the partner university of your choice is recommended for your program, you will be given priority during the selection process over students of programs for which the university in question is not explicitly recommended.


Application periods

You can apply for an exchange semester during the official application periods. Please note that applications must be submitted a year in advance.

During winter semester there are three periods available (DD, Themis and Period 1 and 2). During Summer semester there is only one period.

Application process

The entire application process takes place online and is only accessible during the application periods. Students may apply for places at up to 7 universities, according to their personal preferences.

The application documents comprise:

  • Motivational letter for all partner university preferences in English language (ca. 3200 characters, including spaces, max. 2 MB, pdf-file; addressed to the program director of your master’s program).

  • CV in English (for master’s programs in English language) or German language (for programs in German language). Should include information about: education, professional experience/internships, international experience, language skills and other skills (optional, max. 2 MB, PDF-document).

  • WU master’s & WU bachelor’s transcript (Sammelzeugnis, is automatically generated). Students with a bachelor’s degree from a different institution have to upload their transcript (Sammelzeugnis) as a pdf file (max. 2 MB, PDF-document).

  • Interviews may be held by the master’s program director with the applicant for an exchange semester.

  • During the application process, your personal data will be processed, which is why we would like to kindly ask you to read our disclaimer on data privacy.

Particular focuses of the master’s programs for the sequence of applicants

Allocation of an exchange place

The allocation of an exchange place for an applicant is ensued by an algorithm particularly designed for this purpose. This algorithm calculates the overall score by taking into account the following criteria for every applicant:

Criterion ExplanationPoints
Ranking by the program directorThe ranking of the applicants is done by the respective master’s programs and is included with a value between 1 and 0 into the valuation (1 is the best, percental gradation).1 – 0
Tertile-pointsDue to the ranking placement the applicants receive points for the respective tertile (third) in which they are ranked. In case of doubt the applicant will be ranked in the better tertile.3/2/1
Categorization of your master’s programThe curricula of some master’s programs are more compatible with an exchange semester than others. Each master’s program has been categorized according to this compatibility into one of three groups. (e.g. 2 = An exchange semester is envisioned for a large number of students; 0 = The possibilities for an exchange semester are very restricted). 2/1/0
Recommendations for partner universitiesIf you have applied for an exchange place at one of the recommended partner universities, you receive an additional 2 points. These points are added when two applicants are eligible for the same exchange place.2/0

The allocation process consist of two steps:

  1. In the first round, applicants in the first tertile from master’s programs which explicitly or optionally recommend a semester abroad are allocated. In this round, the relevant parameters are the ranking by the program, the tertile-points, and the potential recommendation of a partner university.

  2. In the second round, applicants in the second and third tertile are allocated. In this round, all criteria from the table above are taken into account.

If two or more applicants are tied after the determination of the total scores, the student who will receive the exchange place is picked at random. After the determination of the total scores, the students’ preferences are reviewed one by one. As soon as a “match” occurs, the applicant will be allocated that exchange place.

Example of the determination of the total score

Publication of results

The IO will send out the notifications about the final selection results via email approximately one month (for Double Degree/THEMIS application one week) after the application deadline. After you have received the nomination e-mail, you have four weeks to provide a language certificate, if this is requested by the partner university. Please contact your IO Regional Coordinator if necessary. If you cannot provide the necessary language certificate, you will lose your exchange place.

Nomination and registration

After completion of the application process, your data will be forwarded to the respective partner university (“nomination”). Subsequently, you will also have to register with the partner university. The partner university or the IO will provide you with further details and the documents required for this process. The process may differ from university to university. The application documents (including additional required documents such as language certificates) and an application form must be completed and submitted to the partner university in time.

Depending on the partner university, you will receive an email or postal mail just before or during the registration process with detailed information regarding visa, housing, orientation programs, and course registration. If you have not been contacted by your partner university six months before the start of your stay abroad, please consult your IO Regional Coordinator.

The relevant application forms frequently include the following questions:

Are you a full-time student? Yes

Institutional/Exchange coordinator: IO regional coordinator

Semester dates: Please note that WU’s “summer semester” is often called something elsein other countries, e.g. “spring term” or just “second semester”. Likewise, the “wintersemester” is often called the “fall term” or “first semester”.

Erasmus Code: WU's Erasmus code is: A WIEN05

Frequently requested documents:

Transcript: Partner universities often request an English version of your WU transcript. You can print your WU transcript at one of the self-service terminals in front of the Study Service Center (Library and Learning Center building (LC), level 2), or view and print it online using WU’s web services.

Bank confirmation/financial statement: All US partner schools and some other overseas partners require proof of sufficient financial means to fund your exchange semester. The required amount varies depending on the university. Click here for a template for a financial statement/bank letter.

Medical report and vaccination pass: Many overseas universities require an English health certificate, issued by your physician. Often, vaccinations are required. Click here for a template of a medical report.

Language certificate: Some partner universities require a language test such as TOEFL or IELTS. To find out which universities require such tests and how many points are needed, please see the info sheets on our website.

OeAD International Testing Services:

British Council:

Cancelling an exchange semester

Once you have been nominated for an exchange semester, cancellation is possible only in exceptional cases (illness, pregnancy, important family commitments, or unavoidable, unforeseen serious events). Appropriate proof will be required. Please contact your Regional Coordinator at the IO immediately in such cases. If a student cancels his or her exchange without good cause, he or she is excluded from further participation in WU exchange programs in his or her current study cycle.

Preparing for your stay abroad

Course selection at the partner university

When selecting your courses, please note that the credits will have to be transferred towards your WU program after your return to Vienna, so you will receive a mobility grant. Exchange students are expected to take a full workload at the host university. In Europe, the full workload equals courses worth 30 ECTS credits; overseas, please take into account the requirements of a full workload of the partner university in question.

Mobility grants

Every exchange stay at a WU partner university is subsidized by a mobility grant – what mobility grant you are eligible for depends on which country you choose for your exchange semester. In the course of the mandatory Grants and Credit Transfer Session, which takes place before your exchange semester, you will receive all the necessary information and documents. If you are looking for more detailed information before the session, please click here.

Pre-recognition notice and Learning Agreement

You must fill out the online application for the legally binding pre-recognition (Feststellungsbescheid/Vorausbescheid) before you go abroad to clarify which courses taken at the partner university are eligible for credit transfer after you return to WU. Detailed information regarding the pre-recognition process and the Learning Agreement for the Erasmus+ grant, which also has to be requested online, can be found here. In the semester before your exchange, you will also be invited to the mandatory Grant & Recognition Session, where you will be given all the necessary information.

Intercultural Competence

We recommend the completion of the seminar for intercultural competence to WU master’s students prior to their exchange stay, but it is not mandatory.

ÖH dues

It is very important that you pay your Students’ Union (ÖH) dues during your exchange semester, otherwise you will be disenrolled from your academic program.

Tuition fees

Participation in an in an exchange semester results in a waiver of tuition fees for one semester. Tuition fees are also waived at the partner university.


Many partner universities offer special services to help nominated WU students find appropriate accommodation. Information on housing opportunities and services is provided by the partner universities. We also recommend that you read the info sheets and the exchange reports by former WU outgoing students.

The IO cooperates with Housing Anywhere, a platform with housing offers by students for students. Housing Anywhere allows you to search for housing opportunities in your host country. – Please use the following link to sign up:

At the same time, it also helps you to sublet your room or apartment during a stay abroad. The services offered are free of charge for WU students, and the IO also recommends Housing Anywhere to incoming students.

Please be vigilant when looking for accomodation through inofficial channels!


Travelling to non-EU countries

If you complete your semester abroad in a non-EU country or if you are not an EU citizen, please familiarize yourself with your host country’s entry requirements in due time.

To travel to the US, Russia, Latin America, Australia, and Asia, Austrian students need a student visa. Non-Austrian students may need additional documents.

As soon as you have received the registration forms and the Letter of Acceptance from the partner university (US universities also require the DS-2019 form, and Russian universities an invitation letter), you can apply for a visa at the appropriate consular authority in Vienna. Be sure to contact the consulate in advance to find out what documents will be needed!

USA/Canada: The US consulate charges a so-called SEVIS fee when issuing a visa. In the plane, you will need to fill out the white immigration form. To travel to Canada for a stay of up to six months, students with Austrian citizenship do not need a student visa. However, upon your arrival, you have to present the Letter of Acceptance to the immigration authorities on your own initiative, and you have to state to the authorities that you enter the country as a student and not as a tourist.

Some countries require special travel and/or health insurance. Please inquire about the applicable insurance requirements with the appropriate consulate.

Travelling to EU countries

If you are not an EU citizen, please be sure to inform yourself of any visa or entry requirements made by the host country early enough to make the necessary arrangements.

Travel/health insurance

Overseas/non-EU countries

If you are a citizen of an EU member state, the health insurance provided by your home country is usually sufficient. Don’t forget to take your European insurance card (e-card) with you when you go abroad! If you are not an EU citizen, be sure to arrange for the necessary insurance coverage well in advance.

EU countries

If you are a citizen of an EU member state, the health insurance provided by your home country is usually sufficient. Don’t forget to take your European insurance card (e-card) with you when you go abroad! If you are not an EU citizen, be sure to arrange for the necessary insurance coverage well in advance.

During your stay at the partner university


Before your stay abroad, please ask your coordinator at the partner university whether your transcript will be issued automatically or whether you’ll have to specifically request it.


For recipients of an Erasmus+ grant: Please make sure to take the Learning Agreement and the Confirmation of Stay (both documents have to be signed by the partner university) home with you.

Represent WU at your host university’s exchange fair

Many partner universities organize so-called “exchange fairs”, similar to WU’s Go Global, at which incoming and outgoing students introduce their host and home universities. If a fair like this takes place while you are studying abroad, we would like you to represent WU there to introduce the university to students who might be interested in spending their exchange semester in Vienna. Information material for this purpose will be sent to the International Office of your host university in advance, and you can find a PowerPoint presentation with general information on WU here.

WU Alumni Hubs
WU graduates are found all over the world, also in cities with WU partner universities. For nominated Outgoings, the so-called Alumni Hubs offer a unique additional networking opportunity for exchange students. Find out if there is an Alumni Hub close to your partner university and attend Alumni events. The local WU graduates are looking forward to hearing from you.

Share photos of your stay on Instagtam using #WUInternational
Tag your Instagram posts during your semester abroad with #WUInternational or send us a photo directly. We will share the best pictures on our account @wuinternationaloffice.

After your stay abroad

“Welcome Back” small group advisory meetings

The International Office offers special group meetings to students returning from their semester abroad. These meetings are intended to make your return easier and provide you with information on important things you need to get done once you’re back in Vienna. Please also note that psychological counseling services are available for students returning from their stay abroad.

Obtaining your Transcript of Records from the partner university

Transcripts of Records are usually sent directly to the International Office, where the coordinators will confirm the authenticity of the documents. You will be informed by email once the document is ready to be picked up at the IO Front Office (usually 1-2 months after the end of the semester).

Some partner universities send their Transcripts of Records directly to the students via email or postal mail. In case you receive your transcript directly from your partner university, please forward it to your IO Regional Coordinator by email or bring the unopened envelope to the International Office to have its authenticity confirmed.

Please note that the ECTS credits you have received for the courses you attended abroad will not automatically be transferred to WU. You have to submit an application for credit transfer towards your WU program to the Study Regulations & Credit Transfer Office, located in the Study Service Center in the LC building, on level 2. The credit transfer process needs to be finished within three months after your return/the end of your semester at the partner university. To submit the application, you will also need to bring your transcript, verified by the IO Regional Coordinator. Click here for more information on recognition and credit transfer. As soon as the credit transfer process has been completed, a copy of your notification of credit transfer must be submitted to the International Office.

Exchange report

All WU students who have completed an exchange semester organized by the International Office are required to write a report on their experiences, including an evaluation of the courses taken. The reports are reviewed by the International Office and, if complete, made available online. Please fill out the report template and upload it here.

Grant formalities

After your return to Vienna, you have to complete several formalities related to your grant. Please click this link for further information on grants.

Tell future outgoings in our small group advisory meetings about your experience

We would love for you to share your experience with nominated students and give them a few tips in our small group advisory meetings. Please contact us for more information if you are interested.

Participate in the Go Global exchange fair

Share your experiences from your stay abroad with prospective outgoing students at our annual Go Global exchange fair and represent your host university!

Diploma Supplement

Exchange stays organized via the International Office will show up on your Diploma Supplement at the end of your studies. In case you receive more than one degree from WU, your exchange stay will be noted only on the program’s Diploma Supplement which your exchange stay was part of.

Picking up documents in your absence

If you are not able to pick up documents at the International Office in person, you can authorize a person of your trust to do it for you. The authorized person has to bring the following documents:

  • completed authorization form (see below)

  • photocopy of the student's ID (photo ID/student ID)

  • photo ID of the authorized person

Please note: Make sure to specify exactly the "type of task" for which you want to authorize your person of trust. If the type of task is not specified accurately or missing completely your documents cannot be handed over.