Read out

Ordinance governing admission of certain groups of potential students

If you can con­firm that you belong to one of the groups of per­sons lis­ted below, your uni­versity en­trance qual­i­fic­a­tion (sec­ond­ary school leav­ing cer­ti­fic­ate, aca­demic de­gree) is con­sidered equi­val­ent to one is­sued in Aus­tria. In this case you do not re­quire proof of a spe­cial uni­versity en­trance qual­i­fic­a­tion (be­son­dere Uni­versitäts­re­ife) and you are sub­ject to the same tu­ition fees as Aus­trian cit­izens (i.e. tu­ition fees are waived for the min­imum dur­a­tion of your pro­gram plus 2 ad­di­tional semesters). Please sub­mit the re­quired con­firm­a­tion (ori­ginal doc­u­ments only) to­gether with your ad­mis­sion ap­plic­a­tion or for the cal­cu­la­tion of your tu­ition fees.

Eli­gible groups:   

  • Per­sons for whom Aus­tria has rep­res­en­ted the fo­cus of their life and in­terests for a period of at least five con­sec­ut­ive years im­me­di­ately prior to their first ap­plic­a­tion for ad­mis­sion at the re­spect­ive Aus­trian uni­versity, or hav­ing at least one legal de­pend­ent (par­ents, hus­band/wife) for whom such is the case
    Con­firm­a­tion: Res­id­ence re­gis­tra­tion form + ex­tract from the re­cords of the Aus­trian re­gional health in­sur­ance agency (Öster­reichis­che Ge­bi­et­skranken­kasse); ad­di­tion­ally re­quired for per­sons li­able for main­ten­ance pay­ments: birth cer­ti­fic­ate and/or mar­riage cer­ti­fic­ate

  • Per­sons in pos­ses­sion of a school-leav­ing cer­ti­fic­ate from an Aus­trian school abroad
    Con­firm­a­tion: Sec­ond­ary school leav­ing cer­ti­fic­ate

  • Per­sons en­titled to reside in Aus­tria pur­su­ant to §§ 3, 8, 13, or 75 (5 and 6) of the Aus­trian Asylum Act (Asyl­ge­setz 2005), Fed­eral Law Gaz­ette no. 100/2005, as amended, or pur­su­ant to pre­vi­ous asylum-re­lated le­gis­la­tion
    Con­firm­a­tion: Asylum iden­tity card or of­fi­cial no­ti­fic­a­tion of refugee status

  • Per­sons en­joy­ing priv­ileges or im­munit­ies in Aus­tria on the basis of legal pro­vi­sions or an in­ter­na­tional treaty; per­sons in the ser­vice of the Re­pub­lic of Aus­tria who, at the time of ob­tain­ing their school-leav­ing cer­ti­fic­ates, were res­id­ent in a coun­try out­side Aus­tria, where they en­joyed priv­ileges or im­munit­ies on the basis of legal pro­vi­sions or an in­ter­na­tional treaty; the spouses or re­gistered part­ners of such per­sons and the chil­dren of such per­sons
    Con­firm­a­tion: Valid iden­tity card (Le­git­im­a­tion­s­karte) is­sued by the Fed­eral Min­istry for European and In­ter­na­tional Af­fairs

  • For­eign journ­al­ists ac­cred­ited in Aus­tria, for whom Aus­tria is the prin­cipal coun­try of work; the spouses or re­gistered part­ners of such per­sons and chil­dren of such journ­al­ists
    Con­firm­a­tion: Press ac­cred­it­a­tion card (Akkred­it­ier­ung­surkunde) ·

  • Per­sons who have been awar­ded a schol­ar­ship for the pro­gram they are ap­ply­ing for, either on the basis of the pro­vi­sions of an in­ter­na­tional treaty or, to the same amount, from those funds of an Aus­trian local or pro­vin­cial au­thor­ity which, un­der the fin­an­cial reg­u­la­tions of that au­thor­ity, are assigned ex­pli­citly for schol­ar­ships
    Con­firm­a­tion: Proof of re­ceipt of the schol­ar­ship