Ein Mann hält ein Papierflugzeug aus einer Weltkarte in die Höhe

Credit Transfer and Learning Agreement

Appointments for a consultation regarding Exchange Semester Abroad via Teams

If you like to arrange a consultation appointment via Teams regarding your exchange semester (Online Application, Credit Transfers and Learning Agreement), please click here.

Credit transfer Online Database

Please bear in mind that the online recognition database does not reflect the course catalog of your partner university, and that courses listed in the database are not necessarily offered every semester at the partner school. The Online Credit Transfer Database is a service offered by WU that is unique in Austria for its students for orientation purposes. Please note that no legal claim can be derived from this.

ATTENTION: Not all courses listed in the database are offered every semester at the partner university. Please note that grades will be converted as listed in the database. Appeals against the academic judgment of examiners shall be impermissible (§ 79 Universities Act), also in proceedings concerning credit transfer.

Obtaining a Pre-Recognition Notice and Learning Agreement prior to an Exchange Period Abroad

If you have been nominated to spend a semester at a partner university abroad, you can go to bach.wu.ac.at and submit an application for pre-recognition prior to your exchange period to determine the equivalence of the courses you plan to take abroad to the courses prescribed by the applicable WU curriculum. If you receive an Erasmus grant, this application also serves to request a Learning Agreement. Please note that you can only submit the online application once. You should only submit your application once you know for certain which courses you will take during your exchange period abroad. For quick, preliminary information on courses that are eligible for credit transfer, please check the online database for credit transfer. All the courses are eligible for credit transfer – no additional confirmations are needed.

How does the application process work?

The course review is only possible via the online application. This requires a nomination at the respective partner university.

If a course is not equivalent, you can change courses during the ongoing procedure.

You are always able to change your courses during the pre-recognition period if the credits cannot be transferred to the WU. You will receive the "Feststellungsbescheid" by the end of the pre-recognition. The time at which the online application should be submitted depends on the partner university.

Find out in advance about the following points:

  • When do I have to announce the courses at the partner university?

  • How much time do I have to change courses?

  • How does the course registration work?

What is the pre-recognition notice (Feststellungsbescheid)?

If a pre-recognition notice has been issued, after your return WU is obligated to transfer the credit for those courses you complete at another university that are deemed equivalent to your WU program. You, however, are not obligated to take the courses listed in your pre-recognition notice or to apply for credit transfer for these courses after your return.

Please note that a pre-recognition notice serves only to confirm the equivalence of courses taken abroad, so that you can be sure those credits will be transferred later if you choose to take the courses specified in the notice. It does not mean, however, that these credits are automatically transferred. You still need to apply for credit transfer after your return to Vienna, with the transcript from the partner university showing the grades for the courses you took there. It is up to you to decide whether you want these courses applied as compulsory courses, electives, or not at all.

When will I receive the pre-recognition notice and the Learning Agreement?

After reviewing the courses, you will receive:

  • pre-recognition notice (Feststellungsbescheid)

  • Learning Agreement

What is the difference between credit transfer of exams and IBW experience abroad?

Credit Transfer: An examination from the partner university must correspond to the WU course and then replaces an examination at WU. Only as many ECTS can be recognized as the requested examination at WU is worth.

IBW experience abroad: All courses of the partner university with business related content focus are valid.

Are you studying in the Bachelor’s program Wiso 19?
The International Office will confirm the IBW international experience automatically. No further steps are required.

Are you studying in the Bachelor’s program Wiso 12?
Please e-mail to course.abroad@wu.ac.at. We will send you the appropriate form.

Before Your Stay at the Partner University

During Your Stay at the Partner University

After Your Stay Abroad

Federal financial aid