Studierende nutzen die Dienstleistung des Study Service Center im LC Gebäude

Visas and Residence Permits


Before travelling to Austria, make sure you are informed of any immigration regulations with regard to visas and residence permits that may apply. Which regulations apply to you depend on your citizenship, the purpose of your stay, and the length of time you intend to stay in Austria.

Citizens of EU/EEA States and Switzerland

As long as you have sufficient financial means to live on and valid health insurance, you have the right to travel to and reside in Austria without a visa. You need a valid travel document (passport or identity card) to enter the country.  Within the first four months of your stay you need to register with the local residence authority and apply for confirmation of registration (Anmeldebescheinigung). The OeAD has more information here.

Third-Country Nationals

If you are not a citizen of an EU/EEA state or Switzerland, you are considered a third-country national and require an entry visa and a residence permit to enter and remain in the country.  

Stays of up to six months

For a stay not exceeding a duration of six months, you require one of the following to enter and reside in Austria:

  • Travel visa C (Schengen visa): for stays of up to 90 days in Austria and all other countries within the Schengen zone within a period of 180 days (not required if you are allowed to enter Austria visa-free)

  • Residence visa D: for stays in Austria of over 90 days up to a maximum of 6 months; during this period, stays in other countries within the Schengen zone are possible for a maximum of 90 days

If you already hold a residence permit for a Schengen member state, you have to apply for your Austrian visa at one of the Austrian representative authorities in Bratislava, Ljubljana, or Munich.

For more information for third-country nationals, please see OeAD's website.

Stays over six months

Students from third countries planning to stay in Austria for longer than six months require an entry and residence permit for students ("Aufenthaltsbewilligung Studierender"). Applications for a “Residence Permit – Student” can now be submitted to the competent residence authority in Austria after lawful entry and during lawful residence (visa-free or with a visa). For more information, please see the OeAD website, where you will also find a list of the documents you will need to present for your application.

Please note: The website of the Österreichische Austauschdienst (OeAD) provides comprehensive, updated information for students on entry, residence and employment in Austria. If you have questions or need information not included on the website, please contact the OeAD directly.

Registering your Residence in Austria

After entering Austria or after moving to a different address within Austria, you have to register your place of residence with the registration office (magistratischen Bezirksamt ) within three business days. Also, don’t forget to cancel your registration before leaving the country.

Click here for more information on registration.

Learn more!

Working in Vienna