Read out

Doctoral / PhD Programs

WU's Doc­toral and PhD pro­grams are three year-­pro­grams and usu­ally take at least 6 semesters to com­plete. In the course of your stud­ies, you at­tend courses, pass ex­am­in­a­tions and write a dis­ser­ta­tion. 

The PhD pro­grams are mainly in­ten­ded for the uni­versity's aca­demic staff. The doc­toral pro­grams can also be stud­ied by stu­dents who are not work­ing at the uni­versity.

In­form­a­tion about ad­mis­sion to a doc­toral/PhD pro­gram is avail­able in the chapter Ap­plic­a­tion and Ad­mis­sion.

Pre­lim­in­ary con­firm­a­tion of su­per­vi­sion

Ac­cord­ing to WU's stat­utes, you need to have found a su­per­visor at WU be­fore you can en­rol in a doc­toral/PhD pro­gram (ex­cept PhD Fin­ance and DIBT). The WU pro­fessor will­ing to su­per­vise your dis­ser­ta­tion signs the pre­lim­in­ary con­firm­a­tion of su­per­vi­sion; you need this doc­u­ment for ad­mis­sion. You have to find a su­per­visor your­self, the uni­versity can­not provide you with one. As many are in­ter­ested to be­gin a doc­toral/PhD pro­gram at WU, look­ing for a su­per­visor may be a dif­fi­cult and time-­con­sum­ing busi­ness.




Is it possible to do the doc­toral pro­gram if I have a full­time job?

Can I study the doc­toral pro­gram as a dis­tant study course?

How long does the doc­toral pro­gram take to com­plete?

Will the doc­toral pro­grams soon be changed to PhD pro­grams?

How do I find a su­per­visor for my dis­ser­ta­tion?

Are there top­ics for which one can ap­ply, or do I need to find my own topic?

When and where can I en­rol in a doc­toral pro­gram?

Where do I find the courses on of­fer? How do I re­gister for them?

Can I spe­cial­ise in a main sub­ject of my choice or is my choice lim­ited, de­pend­ing on the field I spe­cial­ised in dur­ing my mas­ter stud­ies?

Is a know­ledge of Ger­man ne­ces­sary?

Learn more!
Doctoral Program in Social and Economic Sciences