Das TC Gebäude bei Nacht.

International Office

Der Inhalt dieser Seite ist aktuell nur auf Englisch verfügbar.

FAQs outgoing students winter semester 20/21

Please note that this page is being continuously updated as the situation develops. For the most up-to-date information, please refresh the page regularly by pressing Ctrl+F5 (on Windows) or deleting your cache before refreshing (on Mac).

Last update: January 19, 2021, 11:25 am

Based on a careful evaluation of the situation and the continuing global uncertainties regarding travel restrictions, visa applications and the associated planning challenges for nominated exchange students, WU recommends (incoming and outgoing) students not to pursue their exchange on site in the winter semester 2020/21 but to also consider potential alternatives, where available.

Wherever possible, we will work with students and partner universities on finding suitable alternatives. Students who decide to continue pursuing their exchange semester in winter semester 2020/21 are welcome to do so, but have to be aware of the risks involved. In case of additional  questions, students are invited to contact their WU International Office coordinator.

I postponed my exchange semester to a later semester. Do I have to take the intercultural skills seminar again?

Will I get financial support in form of a grant? Can I still transfer my credits if I go abroad?

  • Yes. If you pursue your exchange semester, it will also be possible to receive mobility grants and have credits transferred, given that the exchange semester is completed successfully.

  • Only if your exchange takes place physically, you will be able to receive either an Erasmus or a Joint Study grant. A virtual exchange is not supported. For outgoing students, scholarship and credit transfer information has already been sent to all nominated students.

  • For the winter semester 20/21, bachelor students can inform themselves about financial support by clicking here. Information for master students can be found here.

Important aspects to keep in mind regarding the Joint Study grant:

  • For the winter semester 2020/21, you will receive the first installment of your Joint Study grant after you have arrived at the partner university and send the signed Certificate of Arrival to Ms. Martina Stalitzer, our grant coordinator.

  • If you return earlier from your exchange semester, please inform Ms. Martina Stalitzer, our grant coordinator.

Important aspects to keep in mind regarding the Erasmus+ grant:

  • Please ask your host university to confirm both your physical stay at the host university, as well as your virtual participation in the exchange.

  • If you decide to start your exchange semester even if the Austrian Foreign Ministry issued a travel warning (level 5 or 6) for your guest country please be informed that in the event of an emergency related to COVID-19, the Erasmus+ program does not cover any additional costs / special costs.

  • If you return earlier and complete the semester in distance-learning from home, a portion of the Erasmus+ grant already received may be reclaimed, since the actual amount of the grant is based on the days spent in the host country.

Due to the current COVID-19 crisis, I cannot continue my exchange as planned and have to return home. What should I do next?

  • Please get in touch with your WU regional coordinator and inform him or her about your decision. Keep in mind that you need to inform your host university about the decision as well. If possible, we recommend completing any online courses that might still be ongoing.

  • For grant related questions, please see this FAQ.

I was an exchange student and have to transfer my courses. What is the process in the current situation?

WU’s credit transfer office is currently accepting your applications for credit transfer digitally. Please send your request incl. all documents to anerkennung@wu.ac.at. The necessary documents are:

Your transcript of records from the semester abroad is usually sent either to the WU International Office or directly to you personally. In any case, you can start your credit transfer as soon as you received the transcript of records. No additional authentification of the document is necessary. Please confirm with your host university if your transcript is issued and sent automatically to us or if they issue it only upon request.

Once you obtain your notification of credit transfer from the Study Service Center, you can send a copy directly to Ms. Martina Stalitzer who is our grant coordinator at the International Office. This step is necessary if you have either received a Erasmus+ grant or a Joint Study grant.

I need my exchange semester for the IBW international experience (IBW-​Auslandserfahrung). What happens if my partner university cancels the exchange or if I decide not to go abroad? Can I still finish my IBW studies?

  • Yes, WU has passed a special COVID-​19 regulation in the curriculum for the WU Bachelor’s program Business, Economics and Social Science (major International Business Administration). This regulation only applies to students who have been nominated for an exchange in the winter semester 2020/21 or in the summer semester 2021.

  • If you cannot take up your studies abroad due to COVID-​19, you can complete the bachelor's program without proof of experience abroad. The same applies to you if you do not want to go abroad for personal reasons associated with COVID-​19. Please inform your WU regional coordinator if you decide to opt for this regulation.

  • All other (non-IBW) students who registered for the course “Cross-Cultural Competence” course are also advised to continue with it. Because the course “Cross-Cultural Competence” counts towards the course “Social Competence” (German: soziale Kompetenz) which is a curriculum-specific module for non-IBW students.

  • Please note that IBW students have to complete the course "Cross-Cultural Competence" (German: Interkulturelle Kompetenz) as it is a curriculum-specific module. Even if the exchange cannot be taken up or gets cancelled, IBW students are required to complete this course. This is also the case with the special COVID-19 regulation.

  • Under this special regulation, students can complete their studies any time - even in a few years from now. In any case, students are subject to this regulation if they meet the requirement that they were originally nominated for a semester abroad in winter semester 2020/21 or summer semester 2021.

  • This special regulation also applies to students of International Business Administration and Chinese as well as to students of all other individual study programs.

For students originally nominated for the summer semester 2021 and whose semester abroad was cancelled by the partner university:

  • Unfortunately, we can not provide alternative places. If you wish, you can reapply during the winter semester 2020/21 for an exchange semester in the winter semester 2021/22. If you do not get a place, you can still accept the special regulation for the IBW international experience.

  • If the partner university offers an alternative distance-​learning program, it is possible to confirm the credits earned as IBW international experience.

  • If you get selected for an exchange program taking place during winter semester 2021/22, you become subject to the rules that are valid for winter semester 2021/22. This means that you have to complete the “IBW international experience” (IBW-Auslandserfahrung). Keep this in mind, in case you later decide to withdraw from the exchange program. The exception defined in the first bullet point above is currently available only for those outgoing students who are selected for an exchange program during the winter semester 2020/21 or the summer semester 2021.

Please make sure to inform your WU regional coordinator if you should change plans.

My host university offers courses remotely. Do I still have to take a full workload of courses at my host university? May I instead take only 2 or 3 courses remotely at my host university and the remaining courses here at WU?

  • As long as your host university allows it, you do NOT have to take a full workload at your host university. You can opt for a combination of host-university-courses and WU-courses. If you are a student with major in International Business Administration (IBW), you will still be able to complete your studies without fulfilling the official requirements for the “International Experience” (IBW-Auslandserfahrung). Please see the COVID-19 regulation mentioned in this FAQ for more details.

  • If you only attend only courses online and do not travel to your host country physically, you can additionally reapply for a physical semester abroad at one of the upcoming application periods. Please keep in mind the consequences associated with reapplying for an exchange semester and inform your regional coordinator if you want to pursue this option.

In the winter semester, I plan to participate in online courses. Can I use the earned credits for my "IBW-Auslandserfahrung"?

  • Yes. For the winter semester 20/21, you can use these credits to prove your "IBW-Auslandserfahrung" and transfer them, for example, as international course. For this purpose, you can either earn credits in a distance-learning semester at your partner university or you complete single/multiple courses within an online course initiative, such as the ENGAGE.EU Online Exchange Initiative or the CBS-HSG-WU Online Course Initiative.