International Office

Der Inhalt dieser Seite ist aktuell nur auf Englisch verfügbar.

COVID-19 FAQs for outgoing students

Please note that this page is being continuously updated as the situation develops. For the most up-to-date information, please refresh the page regularly by pressing Ctrl+F5 (on Windows) or deleting your cache before refreshing (on Mac).

Last update: June 30, 2020, 11:28 am

Is the International Office open?

Yes! Starting July 1st, the International Office is opened again. You can drop by during our semester break opening and consultation hours. Please feel free to contact us with your personal concerns at wuio@wu.ac.at. Check out our FAQ section in which we have already answered the most common questions related to the COVID-19 situation.

For general questions, you can contact us by telephone under +43-​1-31336-4310 at the following times:

  • Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: 9 am – 5 pm

  • Wednesday: 9 am – 6 pm

  • Friday: 9 am – 4 pm


If you wish to come to our office and speak to your coordinator or front office staff, you can do so within our holiday opening hours:

  • Tuesday to Thursday: 9.30 am - 12.30 pm


I am a current outgoing student: What happens to my IBW international experience, if I return home early?

If your host university offers distance learning options and you can complete your courses from home, those ECTS credits will count towards your IBW international experience. If you are not able to complete all your courses online and need additional ECTS credits, we will provide alternative options so you are able to complete your IBW international experience.

I am a current outgoing student: What happens to my Joint Study grant?

In case, you had to cancel, interrupt or could not start your exchange semester due to the coronavirus-situation, you have the following options:

  • If you complete courses or distance learning courses at the partner university that are worth at least 15 ECTS credits and you have incurred expenses due to traveling and/or accommodation, you will be able to receive both installments of the Joint Study grant. In order to do so, you need to document all expenses. The second installment will be transferred to your bank account once you have handed in your recognition notice (Anerkennungsbescheid). You should do so via mail and within three months after your exchange has ended. The upload of an exchange report is optional.

  • If you cannot complete courses at the partner university and you have incurred expenses due to traveling and/or accommodation, you will receive at maximum the first installment of the grant. If this applies to you, you need to document all costs associated with the situation.

  • If you have not left for your semester abroad yet and have not had any costs associated with your semester abroad, you will be asked to pay back the portion of the Joint Study grant you have already received.


If you have questions regarding the Joint Study grant, please contact Martina Stalitzer, our garnts coordinator.

I am a current outgoing student: What happens to my Erasmus+ grant?

You should have received emails from the Erasmus+ National Agency with further details about the procedure for managing your Erasmus+ grant. Concerning this matter, please contact the OeAD directly if you have questions.

  • You have left early and continue your studies at the partner university via e-learning/distance learning: In this exceptional situation caused by Covid-19, e-learning/distance learning can be counted towards the duration of stay requirement and you may receive your regular Erasmus+ grant for taking part in e-learning/distance learning activities. As stated in one of the emails by the Erasmus+ National Agency, you need to fill out the form for special support (without declaration of costs) and send it to erasmus-corona@oead.at until April 30, 2020. In the last week of your e-learning/distance learning, your “Confirmation of Attendance”, which now includes periods of e-learning, must be signed by your host university and send to the respective Erasmus office at OeAD.

  • You have left early and will not participate in e-learning/distance learning at the partner university: Stays are calculated on a daily basis according to the confirmation of stay. In addition, you can apply for special support if you have incurred exceptionally high costs with regard to your arrival or departure and accommodation and these costs exceed the regular costs. Fill in the “Special Support Application Form” and send it to erasmus-corona@oead.at by April 30, 2020.

  • You have not departed for your stay: Stays that have not commenced are usually not eligible. If you have high non-refundable costs due to the current exceptional situation, you can apply for special assistance. Please note, however, that this special support is a voluntary contribution and may not cover all your costs. Fill in the “Special Support Application Form” and send it to erasmus-corona@oead.at by April 30, 2020.


I am currently doing an Erasmus+ internship and have to return early. Who should I contact?

Please contact the Erasmus+ office of the National Agency directly: erasmus-wien@oead.at. They will inform you about further steps.

I was an exchange student and have to transfer my courses. What is the process in the current situation?

WU’s credit transfer office is currently accepting your applications for credit transfer digitally. Please send your request incl. all documents to anerkennung@wu.ac.at. The necessary documents are:

Your transcript of records from the semester abroad is usually sent either to the WU International Office or directly to you personally. In any case, you can start your credit transfer as soon as you received the transcript of records. No additional authentification of the document is necessary. Please confirm with your host university if your transcript is issued and sent automatically to us or if they issue it only upon request.

Once you obtain your notification of credit transfer from the Study Service Center, you can send a copy directly to Ms. Martina Stalitzer who is our grant coordinator at the International Office. This step is necessary if you have either received a Erasmus+ grant or a Joint Study grant.

My host university is switching the grading system to pass/fail. Will I still be able to transfer credits? Which grade will I receive in this case?

If your host university switches to a pass/fail grading system, you can still apply for credit transfer for courses graded with “passed”. This option is available for core courses in the WU curriculum. Transferring credits for courses graded with “passed” is not possible for free electives.

Applying for credit transfer for courses graded with “passed” will automatically result in the Austrian grade “4” showing up in your transcript for core courses in the WU curriculum. If you feel like you deserve a better grade, you need to provide an additional official letter from the university or your professor detailing your performance. Alternatively, you may also ask for the grade to be transferred as “completed successfully” (“mit Erfolg teilgenommen”); however, this grade will then not count towards your GPA and cannot be considered for merit-based scholarship grants (“Leistungstipendien”).

Please contact anerkennung@wu.ac.at if you have any additional questions on credit transfer.

ISUs: The ISU program I wanted to apply for is cancelled and therefore I cannot complete my IBW international experience and/or will be missing ECTS credits for credit transfer. Which alternative option do I have so that I can complete my studies on time?

In 2020, the ISUWU undergraduate program will be opened for WU students as an alternative option to the cancelled Joint ISU programs. Please note that the ECTS credits earned at the ISUWU program can also be confirmed as part of the IBW international experience and/or can be transferred towards your curriculum. ISUWU 2020 program

ISUs: Can WU nominate me for a summer program at a different university, which is not part of WU's program offer?

No, unfortunately we cannot offer this option.