Das TC Gebäude bei Nacht.

International Office

FAQs incoming students summer semester 22

Please note that this page is being continuously updated as the situation develops. For the most up-​to-date information, please refresh the page regularly by pressing Ctrl+F5 (on Windows) or deleting your cache before refreshing (on Mac).

Last update: April 29, 2022, 10:00am

Where can I find information on the visa application process?

  • You can find general information on the visa and residence permit application process on our website. For information and updates concerning the current situation with visa applications, please consult the website of Austria's Federal Ministry for European and International Affairs. Note that residents from selected countries can enter and stay in Austria for a limited time without a visa.

I have been vaccinated two times but could not get the booster shot in my home country yet. What should I do once I am in Austria?

  • Where can I receive a free booster vaccination? You can easily book your vaccination via this vaccination service (City of Vienna). Further information is available in English language on their website. At certain locations, an appointment is not even necessary (for example at Stephansdom in Vienna’s first district).

  • Important: Depending on the context, vaccination certificates have different periods of validity. For entry into Austria, vaccination certificates are valid for 270 days. In Austria itself; however, vaccination certificates are only valid for 180 days if you have received two doses. After the third vaccination or booster shot, your certificate will be valid for 270 days from the vaccination date onwards.

  • Your vaccination contributes to a safer learning and teaching environment. We appreciate every student who decides for a vaccination.

I am an incoming exchange student and not from Europe. How can I register my vaccination certificates with the Austrian health care system?

  • If your vaccination certificates are valid and recognized in Austria, you can register your vaccination certificates with the Austrian health care system. This way, you can obtain a QR code that can be displayed in the app “Grüner Pass” (green pass). The app can be used in instances, in which you need to present proof of past infection and/or vaccination according to the G-rules.

  • The following steps are required in order to register vaccination certificates:

  1. If you do not have an Austrian insurance number, you have to go to an ÖGK office and get a replacement number (German for “Ersatznummer”). Note: there is also an ÖGK office in the second district of Vienna.

  2. Usually, you have to wait two or three days because the replacement number does not appear in the system immediately.

  3. Afterwards, go to one of the doctors’ offices listed on this webpage (only available in German). At the doctor’s office, the vaccinations can be entered into the system for a fee of 25€ per person. The vaccination certificate alone is not sufficient. You also need to present the batch number or LOT number of the vaccinations (these are usually found on the stickers in your vaccination passport or on your vaccination card).

  4. After the registration, the QR code can be printed out at a doctor’s office or at a pharmacy. As an alternative, you can use the app "Grüner Pass" (green pass) which also displays your QR code.


I have heard about the "G" rules in Austria. What do they mean exactly?

The so-called G rules (short for German “geimpft, getestet, genesen – vaccinated, tested, recovered”) are used to define low-risk groups in epidemiological terms.

  • The 3G rule describes a situation in which a vaccination, a recovery, a PCR test or an antigen test is accepted.

  • In all instances in which the 2,5G rule applies, antigen tests are not valid and will not be accepted.

  • The 2G rule means that only a recovery from COVID-19 and/or full immunization through recognized vaccines is accepted.

  • Within the so called 2G+ rule, individuals must provide a negative COVID-19 PCR test in addition to their proof of vaccination and/or recovery.

Is COVID-19 covered by medical insurance? Will I be able to receive medical treatment even though I’m a foreigner?

  • You can either purchase the Austrian National Health Insurance (ÖGK) or private health insurance for the duration of your stay in Austria. ÖGK covers medical treatments including COVID-​19. If you purchase a private health insurance, please get in touch with the insurance provider to make sure it also covers COVID-​19 related treatments.

Where can I get a COVID-19 test free of cost?

  • The city of Vienna compiled a helpful FAQ section on their website, which also gives information on “how” and “where” to get tested free of cost.