Ein Mann hält ein Papierflugzeug aus einer Weltkarte in die Höhe

WU mobility grant (exchange semester/year)

If you have been nominated for an exchange place, you have the possibility to apply for a WU mobility grant. On this page, you will find all relevant information.


You can apply for a WU mobility grant if you fulfill the following requirements:

  • You are a regular degree-seeking student at WU

  • You have been nominated for an exchange semester after going through the application procedure, which is organized by the International Office

  • You are nominated for an exchange within one of these regions: Africa, Asia, Australia, Great Britain, New Zealand, North America, Latin America, Russia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Israel, Ukraine

  • Your exchange stay is at least three months long, but no longer than 12 months


  • Students can apply for a WU mobility grant only once per degree level (bachelor or master level).

  • International students can apply for a mobility grant for a stay in their home country, but these applications have the lowest priority in the selection process.

You can only receive financial aid for a physical stay in the country of your host institution. You may switch from on-site to virtual exchange as long as you are still physically present in the host country.

Financial information

WU mobility grants are not full grants. They are intended to cover part of the additional living expenses students incur during a stay abroad. They are also dependent on the budget available. This means that the grant amounts may vary depending on the funds available. Please note that students have no legal entitlement to a WU mobility grant.

You can expect financial support as follows:

Region/countryGrant amount/monthTravel allowance
Latin America€200€600
North America€200€400
Asia (excl. Japan)€200€600
Australia & New Zealand€200€600
Bosnia and Herzegovina, Israel, Russia and Ukraine, Great Britain*€200€300

* Starting in winter semester 2023/24, financial support for an exchange in Great Britain will be provided through the WU mobility grant.

Payment of the grant

The WU mobility grant will be paid out by WU.

The first installment of the WU mobility grant is the full grant amount you have been awarded minus €200.

After you have arrived in the host country, you must have the host university sign the confirmation of arrival and send it per mail to the IO of WU to receive the first installment of the grant. You can find the form here.

You will receive the second installment (€200) after your stay abroad once you have submitted your exchange report and uploaded your notice of course recognition in the application form for payment of the remaining installment.

Academic achievement

Proof of minimum academic achievement is required for students who receive a WU mobility grant. The stay abroad should not hinder the student’s academic progress (“no loss of progress” principle). According to this principle, students should complete courses worth 30 ECTS credits in each semester or, for stays in overseas, fulfil the requirements of their host university. As proof of academic achievement, students are required to transfer credits earned abroad to their WU program.

Apart from these regulations, there is also a minimum requirement students must meet to keep their mobility grant. Students who fail to meet the minimum requirements will have to repay their mobility grant. For stays up to five months, students must complete at least 15 ECTS credits and 30 ECTS credits for stays longer than five months.

If you work on your master thesis, you can also submit a confirmation from your thesis supervisor (the form is available on request from martina.stalitzer@wu.ac.at).

Federal scholarships

Students who receive a federal scholarship (Studienbeihilfe) can continue to collect this financial aid during their exchange stay abroad if they have full admission to courses and exams in Austria. To receive additional federal financial aid for a stay abroad (Beihilfe für ein Auslandsstudium, BAS), you have to submit an application to the Austrian Study Grant Authority in addition to your application for a WU mobility grant. Federal financial aid for a stay abroad (BAS) is paid out in addition to the regular Federal Study Grant and the WU mobility grant.

How to apply

WU students nominated for an exchange stay at a partner university will receive an invitation to the mandatory grant and credit transfer session. The invitation will be send to your WU email address. Attendance of the grant and credit transfer session is mandatory and will be checked. Click here to view dates of the grant and credit transfer sessions in the current semester. At the session, you will get all the information you need for a successful application.

Steps after the mandatory Grant & Recognition Session

Before your exchange

During your stay

After your return

Data protection statement


Open WU's Chatbot Close WU's chatbot
Talk with WU's Chatbot