Ein Mann hält ein Papierflugzeug aus einer Weltkarte in die Höhe

Erasmus+ International Credit Mobility

Erasmus+ International Credit Mobility offers a small number of substantial mobility grants for designated partner universities on both the bachelor’s and the master’s levels.


Students who apply for universities offering Erasmus+ International Credit Mobility exchange places with the best ranking during the application process will receive the grant.

Prior to the exchange semester, students are invited to a mandatory Grant & Recognition Session. You will receive all the necessary information and documents there.

Dates and Deadlines

Please note that you can only receive financial aid for a physical stay in the country of your host institution. You may switch from on-site to virtual exchange as long as you are still physically present in the host country.

Financial information

The WU is responsible for the payment of the mobility grants. 80% of the entire mobility grant is paid out after the Grant Agreement is signed. The remaining 20% are paid out after completion of the stay abroad if the required documentation is submitted in time. The payment is only made to the student’s own bank account.

Available exchange places

The availability of exchange places and grants can vary each semester. For the summer semester 2022 (application in summer semester 2021) grants are available for the following partner universities:


CountryUniversityAvailable ScholarshipsGrant amount per student
Bosnia and HerzegovinaUniversity of Sarajevo2€3075
ChinaTsinghua University1€3620
ChinaTongji University1€4300
IsraelIDC Herzliya1€3160
MalaysiaUniversity of Malaya2€4300
New ZealandUniversity of Canterbury1€4300
PeruUniversidad del Pacifico1€4300
Russian FederationSt. Petersburg University3€3775
ThailandThammasat University1€4300
United StatesUniversity of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign1€3620

Academic achievement

Proof of minimum academic achievement is required for students who receive an Erasmus+ grant. The stay abroad should not hinder the student’s academic progress (“no loss of progress” principle). According to this principle, students should complete courses worth 30 ECTS credits in each semester spent abroad.

As proof of academic achievement, students are required to have credits earned abroad transferred to their WU program.

Apart from these regulations, there is also a minimum requirement students must meet to keep their mobility grant. Students must earn at least 3 ECTS credits per month or complete substantial work on a bachelor, master, or doctoral/PhD thesis, as confirmed by their thesis supervisor.

Federal scholarships

Students who receive a federal scholarship (Studienbeihilfe) can continue to collect this financial aid during their Erasmus+ exchange stay abroad if they have full admission to courses and exams in Austria. These students have to apply for additional federal financial aid for a stay abroad (Beihilfe für ein Auslandsstudium, BAS) with the appropriate Financial Aid Office (Austrian Study Grant Authority). Federal financial aid for a stay abroad (BAS) is paid out in addition to the federal scholarship. It is possible to receive BAS, a federal scholarship, and the Erasmus+ International Credit Mobility grant.

Students with special needs

To ensure that students with disabilities or chronic illnesses can take full advantage of European mobility programs, the Erasmus+ Program provides additional funding to support students with disabilities (please indicate this during the application process).

Ask the Erasmus+ coordinator at the International Office (Dominik Zeilinger) to provide you with further information and help you with the Erasmus+ support application form. For further information have a look at the homepage of the Austrian National Agency (only available in German).

Data protection: Pursuant to Austrian law, personal data is kept confidential and will be used only as needed to process your application and for your participation in the Erasmus+ program.

Steps after the mandatory Grant & Recognition Session

Before your exchange

During your stay

After your return