Ein Mann hält ein Papierflugzeug aus einer Weltkarte in die Höhe

Erasmus+ exchange semester

Congratulations on your nomination for anexchange semester in Europe! All important information regarding Erasmus+ grants can be found on this page.

General information

  • The Erasmus+ grant is a financial support for an exchange stay in one of the 27 EU member states, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Northern Macedonia, Serbia, and Türkiye.

  • Students can complete several funded stays abroad of up to 12 months per study cycle (e.g. bachelor's, master's or doctorate) and thus a maximum of 36 months in total.

  • Mobility to the country of origin is possible, but these are given the lowest priority in the selection process. Stays in neighboring countries where students usually reside and have their center of life (cross-border commuters) are excluded.

  • Federal study grant recipients can receive both the Erasmus+ grant and the Austrian study abroad grant (BAS) at the same time.

Prerequisites & Requirements

  • You are a regular WU student and have been successfully nominated for a semester abroad at an Erasmus+ partner university. All students who are nominated and follow the steps below will receive the Erasmus+ grant.

  • You will continue to pay the ÖH fee at WU during your stay abroad.

  • The stay lasts at least two whole months (60 days) up to a maximum of 12 months.

  • It is a physical stay at the location of the host institution. You can take face-to-face and/or virtual courses in the host country.  

  • The grant is linked to proof of academic achievement. The stay abroad should not lead to a loss of study time ("no loss of progress" principle), therefore students should complete courses amounting to 30 ECTS credits per semester.

    Courses taken abroad have to be recognized for your WU degree.

    Regardless of the "no loss of progress" principle, students must provide at least 3 ECTS credits per month and/or confirmation from the supervisor of the bachelor's, master's or doctoral thesis (if applicable).

Financial information

The Erasmus+ grant is a financial support for the increased cost of living abroad. The following monthly allowances will apply from the winter semester 2022/23 onwards:

CountriesGrant amount/month
Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slowenia, Türkiye€390
Belgium, Cyprus, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain€440
Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Norway, Sweden€490

Eligible students may apply for any or all of the following Erasmus+ Top Ups: 

Top Up Green Travel

Top Up Individual Support

Inclusion Support

The grant will be paid directly by WU:

80% of the grant will be paid at the beginning, the remaining 20% after the completion of the stay abroad upon timely submission of all documentation. The grant amount will be calculated on a daily basis.

Payment is made only to the student's own account.

Information regarding the federal study grant (Studienbeihilfe)

Before your exchange

Which steps are necessary to receive the Erasmus grant?

I have signed the grant agreement and sent it to the IO, what is the next step?

During your stay abroad

I have arrived in the host country. What to do now?

When will I receive the first grant installment?

I would like to extend my stay, what should I do?

What should I do before I leave?

After your exchange

What to do after the return?

When will I receive the second grant installment or the remaining installment?

Erasmus Logo